...with a husband and 5 sons, I am truly outnumbered....stories and thoughts on life from a mom in a houseful of little men!

Friday, March 03, 2006

A 5-Year-Old's Theology

Anyone who knows our Wise Bobcat very well, knows that he is WAY into spiritual matters. Last night at supper, he came to the table and very seriously asked me a typical "Wise Bobcat question:" "Mommy, do we sin every day?" I told him that yes, we do sin everyday. He gave it some thought, and then, shrugging, mentioned that he is a good boy. I affirmed to him that he is a good boy. "But," he replied, "we all do bad things sometimes." "Yes," I affirmed him again. Giving it some more thought, he added, "That's why we all need Jesus...because Jesus is ALWAYS good. He is the only one who is always good. Well, Jesus and God. " He then turned his precious little face to the sky and recited with such love and awe, with hands gesturing, "Oh Lord God Almighty, who is like You?" Tony and I sat in awe. We had just witnessed our little 5-year-old boy in a pure and genuine act of worshipping his Lord and Savior. What a comfort to know that he is secure in the arms of his Father, and what joy it gives us to see him enjoying his relationship with our God. What a privilege to see the words hidden in his heart, spilling out in fullness and application.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Makes "faith like a child" even more worth imitating, doesn't it?

"Out of the mouth of babes and infants, you have established strength . . . "

Marti said...

That is beautiful!

Marti said...

Hey JJ. I'm the "ME" sister--the one a year behind you in school. I could just tell you my name, but it's much more fun this way. :)

Marti said...

P.S. Happy b-day (a little late)!

JJ said...

Thanks "mommy!" I know who you are now! :)